You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Color LaserJet M283fdw doesn't offer "Airprint" as an option when adding printer

I know that this printer model is AirPrint compatible, and I can in fact print to it that way if I add the printer by specifying an IP-address. But if I simply try to add it as a Default ("Bonjour") printer as expected, AirPrint is not listed as a driver option. Furthermore, neither the "HP Smart" utility nor my perusal of listed drivers finds any vendor-supplied one that works. ("HP Smart" cannot successfully install the printer.) I always get "an error occurred."

I don't want to use the IP approach because I want the Mac to be able to "discover" the printer even if its IP-address happens to change. Documentation certainly seems to suggest that "Airprint" should be on the "Use" list, but it's not: there is only "Auto Select," which doesn't work, and "Choose Driver," for which Airprint is not an available choice.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 8:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 10:40 PM

I don't have any obvious explanation for the reason it won't appear as an AirPrint printer, but your reason for not wanting to specify an IP address is not a concern. All my printers are configured to use a static IP address (as are all devices that seldom leave the LAN) and they are all Bonjour discoverable.

Since you already confirmed your HP printer works using AirPrint if you provide its IP address, try that. Research the printer's documentation to determine how to configure a static IP address, and add it to Printers & Scanners that way.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2023 10:40 PM in response to Twelve Shades Publications

I don't have any obvious explanation for the reason it won't appear as an AirPrint printer, but your reason for not wanting to specify an IP address is not a concern. All my printers are configured to use a static IP address (as are all devices that seldom leave the LAN) and they are all Bonjour discoverable.

Since you already confirmed your HP printer works using AirPrint if you provide its IP address, try that. Research the printer's documentation to determine how to configure a static IP address, and add it to Printers & Scanners that way.

HP Color LaserJet M283fdw doesn't offer "Airprint" as an option when adding printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.