You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Crashing within Seconds of Opening

Recently getting warnings that system is low on memory with display showing Mail memory growing to over 300 GB - could force quit and restart. Starting today Mail is crashing (and was almost certainly cause of full computer crash as well). First part of crash report is below - it is not allowing me to upload the whole thing. Any help appreciated! MacBook Pro 16 inch 2021 with M1 Pro chip and 32 GB running Ventura 13.4.1

Process: Mail [3224]

Path: /System/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Identifier: com.apple.mail

Version: 16.0 (3731.600.7)

Build Info: Mail_App-3731600007000000~4

Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-07-25 14:15:01.1692 -0400

OS Version: macOS 13.4.1 (22F82)

Report Version: 12

Anonymous UUID: 339C3F32-ABEB-7CB3-5325-EDD6E4D13FA0

Time Awake Since Boot: 3700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 13 Dispatch queue: IMAPNetworkTaskHandler queue (QOS: BACKGROUND)

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:37 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2023 11:37 AM in response to Robert Stone

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jul 25, 2023 1:57 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks and great to hear from you and glad you are still doing this! I was more active years ago on mainly iPhoto and iMovie boards. Anyway, I tried the safe boot mode and the issue still is happening. The mailboxes include an Exchange mailbox from work and I wonder if that is where the issue is. Is there any part / fragment of the crash report that would be helpful?

Jul 25, 2023 2:53 PM in response to Robert Stone

Robert Stone wrote:

#1 - The mailboxes include an Exchange mailbox from work and I wonder if that is where the issue is. #2 - Is there any part / fragment of the crash report that would be helpful?

#1 - that could be part of the problem. Others have reported problems with the MS email account.

#2 - crash reports are pretty much fro the Apple engineers. They are way too esoteric for me to understand.

You might try a different mail client for that email account to see if it will work without crashing.

Mail Crashing within Seconds of Opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.