You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ancient computer - Need help with backup cable so to access date before getting new computer - help please

Here is the background --

I have a MacBookPro 2012 (yes it's overdue for an upgrade- Working on that now)

Question: Have a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive Model SRD00F1. What type of cable do I need to get that will be compatible with the backup drive and my ancient MacBookPro ? Grateful in advance ! Thank you.

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 1:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 2:16 PM

Hi WinterSolstice21,

After searching around for a bit, for your Mac to a new portable Mac, you will need a USB Micro-B to USB-A 3.0 cable to back up the data on the old Mac, and either a USB-A to USB-C adapter or a Micro-B to USB-C cable to restore the backup on the new Mac, using your drive to back up with Time Machine.

See also: Back up your Mac

Another solution is to use Migration Assistant to transfer the data on the Mac. However, it's still best to have a backup in case something goes wrong.

Hope that helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2023 2:16 PM in response to WinterSolstice21

Hi WinterSolstice21,

After searching around for a bit, for your Mac to a new portable Mac, you will need a USB Micro-B to USB-A 3.0 cable to back up the data on the old Mac, and either a USB-A to USB-C adapter or a Micro-B to USB-C cable to restore the backup on the new Mac, using your drive to back up with Time Machine.

See also: Back up your Mac

Another solution is to use Migration Assistant to transfer the data on the Mac. However, it's still best to have a backup in case something goes wrong.

Hope that helps!

Jul 28, 2023 11:27 PM in response to WinterSolstice21

Assuming that the Seagate portable drive has a Micro USB 3.0 socket (as many portable drives do), 2NumForice was suggesting that you use two cables:

• A USB-A to Micro USB 3.0 cable to connect your old MBP (which has USB-A ports) to the portable drive.
  • A USB-C to Micro USB 3.0 cable to connect your new Mac (which will have USB-C ports) to the portable drive.

There are other ways to connect USB-A devices to USB-C ports – so that you could, say, take the cable that you use to connect the drive to the oldl Mac, and plug the USB-A end into an adapter that would plug into a new Mac.

Jul 28, 2023 2:58 PM in response to 2NumForIce

Thank you so very much 2NumForIce !

I don’t think I explained myself well. I need to buy a cable for the aforementioned Seagate portable drive, that will be insertable into my 2012 Mac Book Pro. The ones I’ve seen will work on the portable drive but the “other end” is too new — I compatibility with this old MacBook. And thank you again so much for kindly devoting your time and energy to helping. It is very much appreciated ! : - )

Ancient computer - Need help with backup cable so to access date before getting new computer - help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.