You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari private viewing mode

I opened a website in private viewing mode. I then reverted back to normal when I opened subsequent websites. Since then, when I open first open safari after turning on my iPad it always opens in private mode. I then have to change it to normal, and from then on it’s fine.

Please can someone help me with this. Thanks very much

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 3:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 3:56 AM

Just to ensure that nothing is missed, remember that Private Browsing for iPadOS 15/16 is accessed via the Safari sidebar.

See >>> Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPad - Apple Support

To return to regular browsing, tap the sidebar n Tabs button (highlighted here in blue), that appears above the Private button - after which Safari will remain in its normal browsing mode until Private Browsing is again selected.

Be aware that you may have multiple Safari Windows open. As such, if different Safari Windows are using different browsing modes, you may not see the behaviour that you anticipate when opening a new Window, or restarting your iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2023 3:56 AM in response to Zalec63

Just to ensure that nothing is missed, remember that Private Browsing for iPadOS 15/16 is accessed via the Safari sidebar.

See >>> Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPad - Apple Support

To return to regular browsing, tap the sidebar n Tabs button (highlighted here in blue), that appears above the Private button - after which Safari will remain in its normal browsing mode until Private Browsing is again selected.

Be aware that you may have multiple Safari Windows open. As such, if different Safari Windows are using different browsing modes, you may not see the behaviour that you anticipate when opening a new Window, or restarting your iPad.

Safari private viewing mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.