You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Ventura 13.5 freezing

For several months, this Mac has been randomly freezing, no particular pattern. The only way to get back in operation is to shut down, pull out the cord, then restart.

There is a Malwarebytes program that is at the top of my screen and I am unable to find it when I search. Those huge bat wings look rather menacing and maybe that's the problem.

Attached is an etrecheck report.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 5:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 7:19 AM

lowcountryguide wrote:

For several months, this Mac has been randomly freezing, no particular pattern. The only way to get back in operation is to shut down, pull out the cord, then restart.

There is a Malwarebytes program that is at the top of my screen and I am unable to find it when I search.

<Rosemary Staples Etrecheck Ventura 13.5.log>

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

See if there is anything here for your third party—

Remove icon from MacBook Air status menu

Can't remove icon from menu bar after install/uninstall

Malwarebytes for Mac menu bar access

Icon always in menu bar?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2023 7:19 AM in response to lowcountryguide

lowcountryguide wrote:

There is a Malwarebytes program that is at the top of my screen and I am unable to find it when I search.

<Rosemary Staples Etrecheck Ventura 13.5.log>

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

See if there is anything here for your third party—

Remove icon from MacBook Air status menu

Can't remove icon from menu bar after install/uninstall

Malwarebytes for Mac menu bar access

Icon always in menu bar?

Aug 1, 2023 12:56 PM in response to PRP_53

1. I uninstalled the malware as I read it's not necessary.
  2. I have opened in safe mode, but was frozen again. I rebooted and is now functional but not fast or smooth. Opening windows is jerky and takes a few seconds.
  3. I can't find that paragon software in any search field, and I wouldn't know how to update it anyway! Can you direct me to the coldest it's supposed to be in and tell me how to update it?
  4. You recommended opening a guest profile. What do I do then?

Thanks!

Rosemary

Mac Ventura 13.5 freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.