You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't receive push notifications from Mail

I usually receive push notifications from all apps without issue. The one exception to this is Apple's Mail app and - strangely - only one email address. Push notifications, as well as notification badges, don't appear until I open the app, which defeats their purpose. I might've already found the reason for the problem but it creates more questions than it answers.

I use the Mail app for two email addresses: iCloud and my business email. On my iCloud address, push notifications and badges work just fine. On my business email the issues are as described above.

Now when I go to Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data, I can see that the schedule is set to Push on my iCloud address. However, on my affected address it's set to Fetch. I wanted to change this one to Push as well but the option wasn't even available. I can only choose between Fetch and Manual. Is there a way I can fix this? Did I maybe make a mistake when adding the email address to the Mail app?

This is a painful issue because this email address is super important for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone trying to help.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 9:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 4:56 AM

Not all Mail services support push-email. As described, the mail with which you have difficulty is presumably an IMAP or POP3 mailbox; these mail protocols don’t support push-email - and it is for this reason that you see fetch as the available option.

When configured for “fetch”, you should be able to choose from various options:

• Automatically - your device will automatically fetch email from the server when connected to power
  • Manually - your device will only fetch email from the server when you refresh the mailbox on the device
  • Hourly, Every 30 minutes, Every 15 minutes - email will be automatically retrieved to the selected time schedule*

*For Mail services that don’t support push-email, choosing a timed option may be best alternative.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2023 4:56 AM in response to McGerry

Not all Mail services support push-email. As described, the mail with which you have difficulty is presumably an IMAP or POP3 mailbox; these mail protocols don’t support push-email - and it is for this reason that you see fetch as the available option.

When configured for “fetch”, you should be able to choose from various options:

• Automatically - your device will automatically fetch email from the server when connected to power
  • Manually - your device will only fetch email from the server when you refresh the mailbox on the device
  • Hourly, Every 30 minutes, Every 15 minutes - email will be automatically retrieved to the selected time schedule*

*For Mail services that don’t support push-email, choosing a timed option may be best alternative.

Jun 14, 2024 6:21 AM in response to LotusPilot

i've been facing the same issue, like thousands of others i've come across on the web for Gmail. Does Gmail not support push notifications either? I have checked into all notification and alert settings, background app refresh, logged out, deleted accounts and added again, nothing has worked. i have submitted this feedback to apple multiple times. I'd want to use their native Mail app as my primary app for Gmail, but haven't been able to. I get instant notifications in the Gmail app on iPhone and on web on the Mac, but nothing comes from Mail app unless I open it. It would then connect and try to fetch. My settings are set to 'Push' and automatically at the bottom.

I don't receive push notifications from Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.