You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to reinstall the macOS it keeps saying unable to.

Last night I was trying to do a factory reset. I followed the instructions in the video and when I went to redownload macOS it just keeps saying unable to install. So I looked up a few things and I made sure it was connected to the internet. It still didn’t work so then the other option was maybe the time and date was wrong. Followed the steps to fix that and it still didn’t work.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 6:06 PM

6 replies

Aug 2, 2023 6:28 PM in response to Apple_help09

Apple_help09 Said:

"When I try to reinstall the macOS it keeps saying unable to."

-------

Getting macOS to Work:

Connect this to Ethernet:

The first thing that comes to mind is that you keep losing the connection to Apple's server. So, try connecting with Ethernet. If you have no Ethernet port, then this is the adapter to use: The Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

Aug 2, 2023 6:39 PM in response to Apple_help09

Apple_help09 wrote:

It wasn’t it was one I found on YouTube and it’s a Macbrook air 13

There are more than a dozen MacBook Air models with displays around 13”, from 2008 to 2023.

There’s a model number etched on the bottom in tiny print, as is the serial number.

The serial number can get more model info at:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

For Recovery, try to boot Recovery with the Option-Command-R chord:

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2023 9:41 PM in response to Apple_help09

Hi Apple_help09,

If you wish to completely erase your Mac and start fresh, complete these steps. They assume that you have an Intel-based MacBook Air running macOS High Sierra.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery: hold down Command-R as you power on or restart your Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear, or when a spinning globe appears. (In the latter case, select a Wi-Fi network if prompted.)
  2. The macOS Utilities window should appear. Choose Disk Utility.
  3. In Disk Utility, select View -> Show All Devices.
  4. Select the top level of your internal drive (APPLE SSD or something similar) and choose Erase. Select these options, then choose Erase:
    1. Name: Macintosh HD
    2. Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    3. Scheme: GUID Partition Table
  5. When the erase is complete, quit Disk Utility.
  6. The macOS Utilities window should reappear. Choose Install macOS and follow the onscreen instructions.
  7. If the macOS installer still cannot install macOS, please take a screenshot of the exact error screen(s) that appear. We might ask for additional diagnostic info to better understand why an error is still appearing.

When I try to reinstall the macOS it keeps saying unable to.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.