You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off entering my password for autofill passwords

When I visit a website with a stored username and password, I now have to enter my Mac password in order for the name and password to populate. How do I turn this off?

MacBook Air 15″

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 12:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 2:21 PM

If using Google Chrome or chromium browser:

1. Click the 3 dots at the top right of the browser
  2. Select "Password Manager"
  3. Select "Settings" on the left
  4. Deselect "Use your screen lock when filling passwords"
7 replies

Aug 10, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Mysign17

Hi Mysign17,

Do you have TouchID enabled for autofill?

* Make sure you chose to use Touch ID for passwords: If your Mac or Apple keyboard has Touch ID, and you want to use Touch ID to fill in user names and passwords, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click Touch ID & Password  in the sidebar, then turn on “Use Touch ID for autofilling passwords” on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) See Change Touch ID & Password settings.

Autofill your user name and password in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If so, and the issue persists, we suggest contacting Apple Support so that they can look into this with you further. They can be reached here: Apple Support

Take care!

Aug 9, 2023 11:07 AM in response to Mysign17

Hey there Mysign17,

We understand you want to disable entering your password to autofill passwords on sites. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

For security, it is a good idea to have a password required to enter your login details to sites. As mentioned in this article, anyone using your Mac while signed into your account would be able to use autofill:

Autofill your user name and password in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

"How Safari keeps user names and passwords secure

User names and passwords are encrypted in your macOS keychain. They’re also encrypted in your iCloud Keychain if it’s set up on your Mac.

If you remove user names and passwords in Safari, they’re deleted from your macOS keychain. They’re also removed from your other Apple devices if your Mac and other devices are set up for iCloud Keychain.

For security, set up your Mac to display the login window when it starts up and to require a password after sleep or a screen saver begins. Set up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to require a passcode to unlock the screen: Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode (or Touch ID & Passcode), then tap Turn Passcode On.

Important: Safari autofills your information for anyone who uses your Mac with your user login. It also autofills your information for anyone who uses your other Apple devices, if those devices and your Mac have iCloud Keychain set up."

Kind regards.

How do I turn off entering my password for autofill passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.