You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Ability to Record on Quicktime, Garageband, Zoom

During a zoom recording session, the ability to record cut out, and at the same time, I lost the ability to record on quicktime, and on garageband. I tried restarting the computer, I checked settings on zoom, I also followed appleʻs prompt on how to fix this with Ventura, checking microphones, restarted, still not working.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:50 PM

This was extremely helpful. I tried these things, also worked with Apple online, then went to genius store. They said it needed to be sent in in that their scans didn't show anything. For now, going to use an external source in that I can't afford the cost of repair. so expensive!

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 10, 2023 2:50 PM in response to IolaniPuu

If you've lost the ability to record audio in multiple applications like QuickTime, GarageBand, and Zoom, there might be a system-level issue affecting your audio settings. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the problem:

1. Check Audio Input Settings:

- Open System Preferences on your Mac.

- Click on "Sound" or "Sound & Input" (depending on your macOS version).

- In the "Input" tab, make sure the correct microphone is selected. Test different microphones if available.

- Ensure the input volume is set appropriately.

2. Check Audio Output Settings:

- While you're in System Preferences, also check the "Output" tab to ensure your audio output settings are correct.

3. Restart CoreAudio:

- Sometimes, issues with audio services can be resolved by restarting the CoreAudio process.

- Open the "Terminal" application (you can find it in the Applications > Utilities folder).

- Type the following command and press Enter:

sudo killall coreaudiod

- Enter your administrator password when prompted.

4. Check Audio Permissions:

- Some macOS versions might require apps to have permission to access your microphone.

- Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.

- Check if the applications in question (QuickTime, GarageBand, Zoom) have access to your microphone.

5. Check Audio Drivers:

- Sometimes, issues with audio can stem from outdated or corrupted audio drivers.

- Make sure your macOS is up to date, as Apple often releases updates to improve compatibility and stability.

- Check for software updates specifically related to your audio interface or sound card, if you're using one.

6. Test with a New User Account:

- Create a new user account on your Mac.

- Log into the new account and test audio recording in QuickTime, GarageBand, and Zoom.

- This can help determine if the issue is specific to your user account or system-wide.

7. Check Third-Party Apps:

- Sometimes, third-party audio-enhancing apps can interfere with system audio.

- Try disabling or uninstalling any such apps and test again.

8. Reset NVRAM / PRAM:

- Resetting your Mac's NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) can sometimes help resolve hardware and system configuration issues.

- To reset NVRAM, restart your Mac and hold down the Option + Command + P + R keys until you hear the startup sound for the second time.

9. Contact Apple Support:

- If none of the above steps work, it's a good idea to contact Apple Support. They can provide additional assistance and troubleshoot the issue further.

Remember that working with system settings and audio drivers can be sensitive, so proceed with caution and make sure to back up any important data before making major changes.

Lost Ability to Record on Quicktime, Garageband, Zoom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.