You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if voice control is turned on why is it still not working

i tried to call someone on my ipod touch and it says that voice control is not listening but it is turned on

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 6:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 2:20 AM

kenna107 wrote:

i tried to call someone on my ipod touch

How? Perhaps you have to tell it which app to use because the iPod Touch cannot make phone calls.

1. Voice Control requires iOS 13 or later, which is only available in the 7th generation iPod Touch. It cannot be used on earlier iPod Touch models. Can you confirm which version of iOS is running on the iPod? (Look in Settings/General/About>Software Version)
  2. Are you sure that you have turned on Voice Control and not Voice Over? They are two different services
  3. When you first set up Voice Control (go to Settings/Accessibility/Voice Control/Set Up Voice Control), there should have been a download to your device in order to be able to use it. The download takes place in the background, so you may not be aware of whether it took place, but you would have had to go via the menu option above
  4. Voice Control is not available in all countries or regions. I haven't found a definitive list, so even if I knew which country you're in, I can't be sure whether you can use Voice Control
  5. If you have a strong non-American accent it is possible that the Voice Control is unable to recognise what you are saying
  6. Have you tried a basic command, such as "Hey Siri, turn on Voice Control" to see if that works?
  7. What was the precise wording of the message that you saw?
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2023 2:20 AM in response to kenna107

kenna107 wrote:

i tried to call someone on my ipod touch

How? Perhaps you have to tell it which app to use because the iPod Touch cannot make phone calls.

1. Voice Control requires iOS 13 or later, which is only available in the 7th generation iPod Touch. It cannot be used on earlier iPod Touch models. Can you confirm which version of iOS is running on the iPod? (Look in Settings/General/About>Software Version)
  2. Are you sure that you have turned on Voice Control and not Voice Over? They are two different services
  3. When you first set up Voice Control (go to Settings/Accessibility/Voice Control/Set Up Voice Control), there should have been a download to your device in order to be able to use it. The download takes place in the background, so you may not be aware of whether it took place, but you would have had to go via the menu option above
  4. Voice Control is not available in all countries or regions. I haven't found a definitive list, so even if I knew which country you're in, I can't be sure whether you can use Voice Control
  5. If you have a strong non-American accent it is possible that the Voice Control is unable to recognise what you are saying
  6. Have you tried a basic command, such as "Hey Siri, turn on Voice Control" to see if that works?
  7. What was the precise wording of the message that you saw?

if voice control is turned on why is it still not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.