You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to edit photos from hard drive directly

Hey guys I am getting so frustrated with apple's Mac operating system compared with windows which is so simple and useful. I want to edit my photos directly from the finder/external hard drive. I don't have time to fuss about importing these into the 'Photo App'. I just want to click on the photo and edit it there and then just like on a windows computer. How can I do this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 4:17 PM

7 replies

Aug 11, 2023 9:22 AM in response to MJT78

Go to the App Store and do a search for "Image Editor" and "Photo Editor". You'll get a number of options ranging from free to $50 or more.

Since you're coming over from a PC environment DO NOT install and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac. They are not necessary.

Note: unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint. 

Aug 10, 2023 4:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

It’s not the same… windows is built in. You just double click on the file and edit and save. I basically need it to open like it would if it was imported into the photo app… but I just organize my photos within the hard drive in folders. I have adobe lightroom for more serious editing, but that takes a while to import and organize etc. I just want something simple like in windows.

How to edit photos from hard drive directly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.