You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote presenter display doesn't show on Samsung TV

I have an M1 Mac Air updated to current MacOS. At home I have it connected to an external monitor. When I play a Keynote presentation with this setup the presentation shows on the external monitor and the presenter display shows on the laptop monitor.

I am going to use this presentation in a classroom with a Samsung TV. I connect to the TV's HDMI port via an HDMI cable that is connected to my laptop with an Apple USB C to HDMI adapter.

When I connect the laptop it is mirrored on the TV. When I play the presentation the fullscreen presentation is mirrored on the laptop and TV, I don't see the presenter display on the laptop. I have enabled presenter display in Keynote settings, I have also tried both HDMI ports on the TV. It would be very helpful to have the presenter display visible on the laptop but I don't know why it works with one external monitor and not the other one and I don't know what else to do to get it visible.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 4:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 4:09 PM

KLC3751,

This page can help out with configuring displays, such as the TV when connected to the Mac: Extend or mirror your Mac desktop across multiple displays - Apple Support

On there it can help to have the TV designated as an extended display for the Mac, instead of it being mirrored on both:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Displays  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
2. Click the name of your display on the right, click the “Use as” pop-up menu, then choose an option.
Note: If you are using a Mac laptop or iMac, you must have an external display connected to your Mac to see these options. If you are using a device with no built-in display, such as a Mac mini or Mac Studio, you must have more than one display connected to see these options.
3. To set up some displays for mirroring and others for an extended desktop, start by setting up all displays as an extended desktop. Then, press and hold the Option key, and drag one display icon onto another display icon to mirror those two displays.

Cheers.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 14, 2023 4:09 PM in response to KLC3751

KLC3751,

This page can help out with configuring displays, such as the TV when connected to the Mac: Extend or mirror your Mac desktop across multiple displays - Apple Support

On there it can help to have the TV designated as an extended display for the Mac, instead of it being mirrored on both:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Displays  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
2. Click the name of your display on the right, click the “Use as” pop-up menu, then choose an option.
Note: If you are using a Mac laptop or iMac, you must have an external display connected to your Mac to see these options. If you are using a device with no built-in display, such as a Mac mini or Mac Studio, you must have more than one display connected to see these options.
3. To set up some displays for mirroring and others for an extended desktop, start by setting up all displays as an extended desktop. Then, press and hold the Option key, and drag one display icon onto another display icon to mirror those two displays.

Cheers.

Aug 14, 2023 2:27 PM in response to KLC3751

Hi KLC3751,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! If you're using AirPlay, you'll want to turn mirroring off as listed below that can help:

Play a presentation on a separate display in Keynote on Mac

1. Connect an external display to your computer using a video adapter, or connect an Apple TV with AirPlay.
2. If you’re using Apple TV, to view the presenter display, turn mirroring off:
macOS Ventura 13 or later: Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Displays, select Arrange, then follow the instructions for mirroring.
macOS 12 or earlier: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Displays, then make sure the “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available” checkbox is selected.
3. To play your presentation in fullscreen, choose Play > In Fullscreen (from the Play menu at the top of your screen), then click in the toolbar.
Your presentation begins to play on the connected display, and Keynote on your Mac switches to show the presenter display.
A red bar appears across the top of the presenter display while a build or transition is playing. (In a side-by-side layout, when the next slide doesn’t immediately appear, it means a slide transition or build is still playing on the current slide. The next slide appears only when the presentation is ready to advance.)
4. To play your presentation in a window, choose Play > In Window (from the Play menu at the top of your screen), then click  in the toolbar.
5. To advance to the next build or slide, press the Right Arrow key or Space bar.
6. To reveal the toolbar to show the slide navigator, keyboard shortcuts, live video sources, or multipresenter slideshow controls, move the pointer anywhere on the presenter display, then click a button.
7. To exit the presenter display and stop playing the presentation, press Esc.
To quickly switch the slideshow display (where the presentation plays) and presenter display, press X on the keyboard.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Aug 14, 2023 3:24 PM in response to Lissy_12

Thanks for the reply but as I said in the OP, I am connecting the laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable and adapter, no Apple TV.

As your attached guide says, "Your presentation begins to play on the connected display, and Keynote on your Mac switches to show the presenter display." But that is not what happens when I use the TV, no presenter display is present on the laptop. But at home with my external monitor connected to the laptop via USB-C I do see the presenter display on the laptop and the slideshow on the external monitor.

Why does it show the presenter display on the laptop when connected to an external monitor but no presenter display when connected to the TV via HDMI?

Keynote presenter display doesn't show on Samsung TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.