You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dialed phone numbers are in the wrong format (international, should be US)

Recently, I traveled to Switzerland with my iPhone 13 Pro. I have an unlocked phone with my usual T-Mobile e-sim, but on this trip I added a second e-sim for data only in Europe. I noticed that when I added this second e-sim my contact numbers disassociated themselves with their contacts, and many had to be manually fixed.

Upon my return to the US, I deleted the European e-sim from my phone, but when I go to dial a number (any arbitrary US phone number) it all appears in the international format and I can't find a way to change it back.

I've tried switching my language/region to another country and back, along with toggling my dial assist settings. The only thing left I can think of to try is resetting network settings, but I'm concerned by doing so it'll mess up my e-sim and it'll be painful to fix it.

Additionally, you should know that I have had another physical SIM card from Japan in the device from prior to my trip to Europe. However, this is turned off and the service is not active, plus it never caused issues before now.

How can I fix this?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 1:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 1:38 PM

The format shouldn't matter that much. It's mostly to make things easier for people looking at the number. The format is generally determined by the region your phone is set to. Go to Settings>General>Language and Region and, regardless of what it says, re-select the region. Sometimes it gets a bit confused. Also, try going to Settings>Phone>Dial Assist and if it's on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 14, 2023 1:38 PM in response to Kyle. D. M.

The format shouldn't matter that much. It's mostly to make things easier for people looking at the number. The format is generally determined by the region your phone is set to. Go to Settings>General>Language and Region and, regardless of what it says, re-select the region. Sometimes it gets a bit confused. Also, try going to Settings>Phone>Dial Assist and if it's on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on.

Aug 15, 2023 8:14 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear there's no issue with the phone number format. Unfortunately, I already tried the region setting and dial assist solutions and didn't see any change in the behavior.

I've been mostly happy with iPhones, but it's little issues like this that have irked me over the years. This is isolated, so while I can deal with it I would prefer to fix it even if it is cosmetic.

Dialed phone numbers are in the wrong format (international, should be US)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.