You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store difficulties

When I try to download an app, (most apps) it has a cloud symbol instead of the “GET” button i see when I go to download a free app. It has been like this for awhile, and it’s mainly happening to apps I’ve previously had on my phone, and now I can’t download any of said apps. The reason I can’t is because when I press the cloud icon it asks for my billing information, when I put it in it keeps trying to take money out of my card. Even though the app I’m trying to download is free. I have no subscriptions going, and I have even removed my card and added it again. I’m not sure what I’m missing can somebody please help me because I have not been able to download apps at all

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 4:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 4:23 AM

You can download free apps, but you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

Free apps has also In-app pruchase.

See -> Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

See also the following Apple articles:

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

scroll to point 2  ⤵️

Add a payment method

You may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

Add a payment method

• If you want to change your card, add first the new card, then remove the old one.
  • or if you want to use your Apple ID balance, you need to set your Apple ID balance as your default payment.

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card. If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

If you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service or check -> here for more support and assistance.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2023 4:23 AM in response to evander145

You can download free apps, but you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

Free apps has also In-app pruchase.

See -> Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

See also the following Apple articles:

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

scroll to point 2  ⤵️

Add a payment method

You may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

Add a payment method

• If you want to change your card, add first the new card, then remove the old one.
  • or if you want to use your Apple ID balance, you need to set your Apple ID balance as your default payment.

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card. If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

If you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service or check -> here for more support and assistance.

App Store difficulties

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.