You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Credit cards within the euro area

In the European Union different countries use the same currency, the euro. This is similar to the different states of the US using the US dollar.

Is it possible to pay for an iTunes account of a EU country (for example a German account) with a credit card issued in another EU country (for example in Italy), similarly to what happens in US where it is possible to pay for a Californian account with a credit card issued in Nevada?

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 12:18 AM

It's Apple policy, and Apple isn't here.

If you purchase from Apple, you can only purchase from your country of region, with a debit / credit card issued by a bank in your country, and you need to have a billing address in your country.

If you change Country or Region, you must comply with all regulations described here -> Change your Apple ID country or region -> Change your Apple ID country or region – Apple Support (UK)

Call support Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service 

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2023 12:18 AM in response to bachcrazy

It's Apple policy, and Apple isn't here.

If you purchase from Apple, you can only purchase from your country of region, with a debit / credit card issued by a bank in your country, and you need to have a billing address in your country.

If you change Country or Region, you must comply with all regulations described here -> Change your Apple ID country or region -> Change your Apple ID country or region – Apple Support (UK)

Call support Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service 

Aug 21, 2023 2:29 PM in response to bachcrazy

Is it possible to pay for an iTunes account of a EU country (for example a German account) with a credit card issued in another EU country (for example in Italy),

No, that is not possible.

You need to have a debit / credit card issued by a bank in your country.

You need to have a billing address in your country.

Aug 22, 2023 8:32 AM in response to bachcrazy

Re: “…the people of the European Union … are [being] discriminated against. I really do not see any valid reason for [this] policy …

Just because one doesn’t understand the business practice based on the intricacies and overlaps of banking, copyright, intellectual property, and tax law … does not make it unlawful “discrimination.”

If it indeed IS unlawful, I’d think that your political and/or judicial representatives could / should initiate appropriate action(s).

See other info here:

Apple - Legal

Aug 21, 2023 11:55 PM in response to Raicya

Thank you for the reply, Raicya, I actually thought that that was the case. Still, I do not understand why.

After all England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom, but Apple does not discriminate credit cards issued in Scotland for an English account.

So, why all the people of the countries of the European Union that have adopted the euro as their currency (Germans, Italians, French, Portuguese and so on) are discriminated against? I really do not see any valid reason for a policy against the European Union and the euro currency area, and also at a personal level I am a person that lives in different countries of the EU and find honestly annoying this discrimination.

Aug 23, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Chattanoogan

I totally agree with you, Chattanoogan, it’s not any unlawful discrimination, I’m sorry if my message was unclear on this point and thank you for allowing me to clarify. Still it’s clearly discrimination.

Many examples in history show (for way more serious matters than online accounts!) that discrimination is often totally lawful, sadly.

Here the problem however is about to explain why EU is treated differently from US or UK, and frankly all the rest is not particularly relevant, at least as far as I am concerned.

It would be nice to find such explanation rather than just reply that “it is what it is”. And it would be nice to be able to discuss such explanation (if someone can provide it) with open minds and respect for each other’s point of view

Aug 23, 2023 3:07 PM in response to bachcrazy

I understand … I lived in Pre-Euro Europe.

We can’t answer why — or even speculate — as to why Apple does things the way they do business-wise.

That said, I think that we can all agree that there must be an absolutely bewildering array of — sometimes contradictory — regulations and laws which Apple’s compliance teams must wade thru.

FWIW, the EU did force the “USB-C Issue” …

… the fact that they’re not forcing this “Euro Payments Issue” tends to make one think thst Apple must indeed be doing at least what is required.

Credit cards within the euro area

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.