You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing in Messages

Messages always drops the ability to type in it even when the cursor is "hot" meaning it is blinking in the typing box. Often times I will click on the messages window or directly in the typing box and it still won't type. I have to click into it multiple times before it will recognize this and become active. It's been doing this for quite some time.

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 8:52 PM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2023 7:26 PM in response to srbwanderer

OK, Messages, on a MacBook pro w/ Ventura 13.4.1

If I'm in any other typing app like Mac Mail, when I switch desktops the last open window is active and all I have to do is type, which will occur where the cursor is hot. This stopped working in Messages sometime ago, and it is frankly annoying. It will often require several click attempts to get it the accept text from the keyboard. No other app does this. And of course it's been rebooted numerous times include one into safe mode.

Aug 24, 2023 8:40 PM in response to destiny241

Hello Destiny241,

Thank you, upgraded to 13.5.1, no help

Went into safe mode, no help

Created standard user, had to log into my normal apple ID to get messages to open, but still no help

Additional notes: I use about ten desktops and have specific apps assigned to each, and I know where they are always. This lets me ^arrow left or right across desktops to each app I regularly use without leaving the keyboard... which is way faster than using a mouse or trackpad. It makes things like cmd-v and cmd-c very fast. But it only works well if the app in each desktop goes active upon returning while I'm on another desktop.

Upon further testing messages is the only app that goes inactive if leaving that desktop, even if I don't click or type anything in another desktop. If I leave to the right it goes inactive but the cursor lines stays blinking and the three balls (red, yellow, green) in upper left stay lit. And you can't type without clicking on the app at least twice. If I leave going left and come back the cursor line is blank, and the three balls are greyed out and I still have to click twice to get the window and type screen active.

No other app does this including MS Office apps. And it occasionally does not do it, like just now ;{\

It's strange an annoying...

May 30, 2024 2:56 AM in response to manifold7

Same here, Sonoma 14.4.1

Incredibly frustrating as I use messages all day long.

As soon as you swipe a screen space, switch back to messages, the cursor might blink but typing doesn't work. Clicking the messages window, still typing doesn't work. Only when clicking the typing-window precisely then you can start typing...

Contrary to any other app.

Aug 23, 2023 7:19 AM in response to madb1rd

Hello madb1rd,

You would want to update macOS for the latest fixes: Update macOS on Mac

If the issue occurs in safe mode, then you'd want to continue isolating the issue further by testing it in another user on the Mac. This will tell us if the issue is system wide or user specific.

Learn how to create a new Administrator account on your Mac here: Add a user or group on Mac

Log in to the new user and test if the issue continues there. Let us know how it goes.

Take care.

Typing in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.