You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps turning off and won’t turn on for a few hours, time for it to fix itself increasing.

my iPhone 11 is about 3 years old now, I’ve been content with it so far but over the past year it’s started randomly turning itself off for no reason. Just a black screen.

At first I was able to turn it on holding the down volume button and the power button but for the past few months it turns itself off at random times and won’t turn on for a few hours before turning itself on.

yesterday was the worst when I needed it and it turned itself off at the start of the day and would not turn on all day. I put it in the charger all night, even though I knew I had charge. It was not working in the morning still and only about an hour ago did it work again.

I attempted to turn in on and the no battery image showed on screen, which is the first time this has happened.

I knew it should have had charge since I charged it all last night but whatever. Does anybody know why this might be happening?

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 4:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 4:43 AM

Hello,

Start here:

1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo (could be as long as 30 seconds) 

The timing is a little critical, you may have to try it several times. See this for more detail:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

Also see:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t charge

However, I would suspect that the main problem is that your battery is going bad. Check the health:

iPhone Battery and Performance

Also see:

iPhone Battery Service

Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2023 4:43 AM in response to Grace_C17

Hello,

Start here:

1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo (could be as long as 30 seconds) 

The timing is a little critical, you may have to try it several times. See this for more detail:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

Also see:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t charge

However, I would suspect that the main problem is that your battery is going bad. Check the health:

iPhone Battery and Performance

Also see:

iPhone Battery Service

Good luck.

iPhone keeps turning off and won’t turn on for a few hours, time for it to fix itself increasing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.