You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Globe key on my Magic Keyboard isn't changing the language on my 12.9-inch iPad 5th generation

The Globe key on my Magic Keyboard isn't changing the language on my 12.9-inch iPad 5th generation. On the display, it shows that the language has changed, but when I start typing, it's still using the previous language. I've checked the settings and tried all options, including using the Caps Lock key instead of the Globe button. I've also restored defaults, but it still doesn't work. Currently, I have to change the language by tapping on the context menu at the bottom of the display, selecting the desired language, and then starting to type on the display. After typing a single character, I switch to typing on the Magic Keyboard, and then it works. However, this method is very annoying and impractical. Please help me!

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 4:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 8:12 PM

I also cannot use the globe function on my Magic Keyboard since "updating" to iOS 17. I use this to use an app called TextExpander, I have always been able to switch between the two. All my keyboard settings look the way they should, but when I hit that button nothing at all happens. I can still switch using the on screen keyboard, but just super inconvenient.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2023 8:12 PM in response to Robertsnop

I also cannot use the globe function on my Magic Keyboard since "updating" to iOS 17. I use this to use an app called TextExpander, I have always been able to switch between the two. All my keyboard settings look the way they should, but when I hit that button nothing at all happens. I can still switch using the on screen keyboard, but just super inconvenient.

Sep 29, 2023 6:32 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I don’t have that exact layout on my hardware keyboard menu, but when I check the mapping of the keys everything is correct. I tried setting the option key as the globe function but that also does not work. I am not using a different language, but I have another “keyboard” installed that is an app called TextExpander. It is a snippet app that expands short phrases into pre-defined text blocks.

I have also tried control space to switch, it will not change the keyboards either. Thanks,

Simon

Jan 31, 2024 11:04 AM in response to Robertsnop

Same problem on 11“. While reading here and trying out all the different settings I just got the problem solved. Here is what I did. After checking out all the settings (hardware keyboard as well as languages), I started trying out all the shortcuts with the globe-button. First I figured that Shift+Globe changed languages (settings were set to change languages with globe only), though it worked unreliably, and I tried to figure out what made it work: buttons pressed together or first shift, then globe or otherwise. Then I tested if all system shortcuts with globe worked - nope! And shortcut list could be turned on by long press on globe, rather than globe+M. After trying all the options I noticed that changing languages with the globe alone started to work again. As I am not using system shortcuts much, I won‘t spent much time figuring out why other shortscuts not working. See if clicking through all globe-shortcuts will turn languages switching back on. Good luck!

The Globe key on my Magic Keyboard isn't changing the language on my 12.9-inch iPad 5th generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.