You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting block quotes from Pages to Word

Creating block quotes in Pages is one matter, but how do you get them to appear in the same style when converting to Word? If anyone can help, I would be very grateful!!!

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 4:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 4:54 AM

Pages, being no Word clone, performs a translation process based on some older version of Word, and that translation may not reproduce in Word, what you see in Pages. Case in point… you cannot force block quotes to appear identically formatted between Pages and Word. Almost, but the application differences win.

I entered some text, and then dragged the left and right text indent symbols on the ruler where left was 1.5 in and the right was 7.0 in. I set the font to 13-pt Hoefler Text, justified text, and character spacing to -5% to reduce interword whitespace. Finally, I created a new block quote paragraph style in Pages v13.1, and saved the Pages document before exporting to Word.

When I opened the Word document in Word 16.76, the block quote actually looked better (improved interword spacing) but Word starts its left margin (default) at 0, so the entire block quote was shifted to the left by 1.5 in while the right-edge of the block quote was now at 6 in.

Looks like this in comparison, where both documents use 1.0 in margins:

Pages v13.1 (macOS Ventura 13.5.1)

Word v16.76 (macOS Ventura 13.5.1)

The Word text appears bolded but is not set as bold.

Word v2307 16626.20170 (Windows 11 Pro 22H2)

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2023 4:54 AM in response to MSGOOaken

Pages, being no Word clone, performs a translation process based on some older version of Word, and that translation may not reproduce in Word, what you see in Pages. Case in point… you cannot force block quotes to appear identically formatted between Pages and Word. Almost, but the application differences win.

I entered some text, and then dragged the left and right text indent symbols on the ruler where left was 1.5 in and the right was 7.0 in. I set the font to 13-pt Hoefler Text, justified text, and character spacing to -5% to reduce interword whitespace. Finally, I created a new block quote paragraph style in Pages v13.1, and saved the Pages document before exporting to Word.

When I opened the Word document in Word 16.76, the block quote actually looked better (improved interword spacing) but Word starts its left margin (default) at 0, so the entire block quote was shifted to the left by 1.5 in while the right-edge of the block quote was now at 6 in.

Looks like this in comparison, where both documents use 1.0 in margins:

Pages v13.1 (macOS Ventura 13.5.1)

Word v16.76 (macOS Ventura 13.5.1)

The Word text appears bolded but is not set as bold.

Word v2307 16626.20170 (Windows 11 Pro 22H2)

Converting block quotes from Pages to Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.