You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removed broken device from Cloud and Sold - Now needs passcode

Hello,

I sold my old broken I-phone on ebay. It wouldnt switch on so sold it as broken.

When I sold it, I removed the device from I-Cloud (cleared down etc).

Now the person I sold it to has got it fixed but when they switch it on, a passcode is still required.

I'm assuming it's never been connected to the internet since it was fixed. The buyer has requested the passcode.

I'm a bit reluctant to provide this. Can anyone suggest another course of action?

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 5:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 6:09 AM

Absolutely NOT !!!

That phone STILL contains your private info as-of the date it was broken.

The new purchaser can reset the phone (which fully erases it) and re-use it.

By removing the phone from your own AppleID … you’ve upheld your part of the deal

This purchaser may be simply ignorant of the technology … but he may also be quite sophisticated and is attempting to take-over your AppleID.

Tell the purchaser to follow these instructions:

If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2023 6:09 AM in response to Scotty1903

Absolutely NOT !!!

That phone STILL contains your private info as-of the date it was broken.

The new purchaser can reset the phone (which fully erases it) and re-use it.

By removing the phone from your own AppleID … you’ve upheld your part of the deal

This purchaser may be simply ignorant of the technology … but he may also be quite sophisticated and is attempting to take-over your AppleID.

Tell the purchaser to follow these instructions:

If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

Removed broken device from Cloud and Sold - Now needs passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.