You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit scrolls to top of window when typing bulleted paragraphs

TextEdit (version 1.18; MacOS Ventura 13.5.1) scrolls to top of window when using bulleted/numbered paragraphs.

I've read some posts in this community reporting that the cursor behaves erratically, changing its position inadvertently. That's not my case.

The cursor remains where it should, but when there is enough text to extend beyond the window height, the window scrolls up when any key is pressed. So, the cursor and, therefore, the text you are typing, goes away from sight.

If you scroll back to the bottom, you can see the text is correctly typed; the problem is that you can't visualize it while typing, because any key pressed makes the window scroll up again.

This seems to happen only when using bulleted/numbered paragraphs.

How could this be fixed?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 8:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 5:16 PM

First of all, you are not crazy. It was really easy for me to duplicate the problem. This is definitely a bug. It's not supposed to behave like that.

You should use QuickTime to make a short screen recording of the TextEdit window and submit a bug report using the Apple Feedback Assistant. I've already done this and if others also submit the same bug report it should help raise awareness with Apple.

In the meantime, consider using the Notes app to manage your bulleted lists or perhaps Pages, which would be closer to the TextEdit rich text editing.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2023 5:16 PM in response to dtabach

First of all, you are not crazy. It was really easy for me to duplicate the problem. This is definitely a bug. It's not supposed to behave like that.

You should use QuickTime to make a short screen recording of the TextEdit window and submit a bug report using the Apple Feedback Assistant. I've already done this and if others also submit the same bug report it should help raise awareness with Apple.

In the meantime, consider using the Notes app to manage your bulleted lists or perhaps Pages, which would be closer to the TextEdit rich text editing.

TextEdit scrolls to top of window when typing bulleted paragraphs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.