You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad says it is in Miami FL. I live in Myrtle beach SC I have wifi only iPad

iPad iOS 16.6 latest update

is someone in Miami getting my info from my iPad? I have reset it, turned off location sharing etc. nothing works when I put the password in I get a verification code on my iPhone and it shows a map that the iPad is in Miami.

what gives. Don’t know what else to do with it. Is it safe and secure to use?

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 6:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 2:08 AM

You have no cause for concern with regard to security and privacy of your iPad or its data.

Only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GNSS/GPS functionality - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset. WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact your apparent location or ability to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate. 

Location derived solely from your public IP Address can be very inaccurate. Due to internal network routing by your Internet Service Provide (ISP), the IP Address used to derive location may be located a significant distance from your actual location.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2023 2:08 AM in response to Suenp

You have no cause for concern with regard to security and privacy of your iPad or its data.

Only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GNSS/GPS functionality - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset. WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact your apparent location or ability to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate. 

Location derived solely from your public IP Address can be very inaccurate. Due to internal network routing by your Internet Service Provide (ISP), the IP Address used to derive location may be located a significant distance from your actual location.

My iPad says it is in Miami FL. I live in Myrtle beach SC I have wifi only iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.