You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting files from RecoveryOS after MacOS Ventura failed to install

I just tried to install macOS Ventura on my 2019 MacBook Pro 16-inch and then, upon booting it, it took me straight to RecoveryOS. I told me there was an error installing the new macOS Ventura.

What I tried:

1. Now, I first tried to restore from Time Machine, but the backup wont show up, and the drive I had backed up on is currently broken and every business i’ve taken it to says they cant fix it, so that option is out the window.
  2. I then tried to Reinstall macOS Ventura, but apparently I don’t have enough storage (I had 50 GB free before installing macOS Ventura for the first time. I think this is my best option, but I cant figure out how to delete files to free up storage.

I’d really appreciate any help I can get since my life is on that computer…

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 10:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 11:35 AM

adamabughaida wrote:

I tried safe mode, and I think it failed, the mac fans started spinning at max RPM for 20 seconds and it just shut off, I tried this twice to no avail.

Just to be sure, is your Mac equipped with an Intel or Silicon CPU? The fan spinning could indicate an issue with an Intel Mac's System Management Controller (SMC).

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

How you reset the SMC is different between Intel Macs with (2018+) and without (mid-2009-2017) T2 chips. Be sure to use the appropriate section in the link above. On the other hand, Apple does not provide a method to reset either the SMC or NVRAM on the Silicon (M1/M2) Macs. You simply just restart the Mac to reset them.

From what I’ve seen about target disk mode, it seems like I have to have two Macs.

Yes, that is correct. Since you don't have one, you still have a few options: Ask a friend or relative to use theirs, OR better still, pay a visit to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them assist you with this.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2023 11:35 AM in response to adamabughaida

adamabughaida wrote:

I tried safe mode, and I think it failed, the mac fans started spinning at max RPM for 20 seconds and it just shut off, I tried this twice to no avail.

Just to be sure, is your Mac equipped with an Intel or Silicon CPU? The fan spinning could indicate an issue with an Intel Mac's System Management Controller (SMC).

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

How you reset the SMC is different between Intel Macs with (2018+) and without (mid-2009-2017) T2 chips. Be sure to use the appropriate section in the link above. On the other hand, Apple does not provide a method to reset either the SMC or NVRAM on the Silicon (M1/M2) Macs. You simply just restart the Mac to reset them.

From what I’ve seen about target disk mode, it seems like I have to have two Macs.

Yes, that is correct. Since you don't have one, you still have a few options: Ask a friend or relative to use theirs, OR better still, pay a visit to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them assist you with this.

Aug 27, 2023 10:30 AM in response to adamabughaida

It sounds to me your TM drive is out of the picture, and if that was your only backup then you have no backup. If by chance you are using iCloud Drive your files will likely still be there.

If you can successfully startup your Mac, make a TM backup NOW. Making two would be even better. And, assuming you can, this needs to be job 1 before you do anything else.

If restoring the OS from the recovery many is not working, that leaves erasing the drive and that means everything will be utterly gone. Hence the need to make backups.

Here's what you do to erase and install the OS: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

BUT, before you jump and do that, wait for others to respond for possibly additional options.

Aug 27, 2023 10:28 AM in response to adamabughaida

If you try booting up your Mac into Safe Mode, does it still try going into Recovery Mode instead?

If I understand your post correctly, all of your critical data is only available on the Mac's internal drive ... correct? None of your Time Machine backups are available from the external drive that you have been using ... correct?

If both of these are true. We can try either Safe Mode or Target Drive Mode to, at least, clone/copy your Mac's internal drive to a known-good external drive.

Once that is accomplished successfully, I would suggest that you boot up in Recovery Mode, and then, use Disk Utility's First Aid option to check the integrity of the Mac's internal drive.

If all is well with this drive, then the next step would be to fully erase it, and then, try reinstalling macOS Ventura.

Aug 27, 2023 10:49 AM in response to Tesserax

From what I’ve seen about target disk mode, it seems like I have to have two Macs. I have a WD Passport with more than enough space to house all my Macs data but I’m not sure how to transfer them over. I can get another mac in a few days from a friend, albeit I would rather use my own WD Passport. If theres no other way, I can use the other Mac but some help would be great if the WD Passport approach is possible.

Aug 29, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi, i got the mac and ran target disk mode but it would only ever load 9 gigabytes over the cable… I tried to run disk utility and its stuck on

error: (oid: 0x175b85f) apps_root: ben: invalid o_xid (0x10745ab, expected 0x106f83c)

What options do I have now?

I guess one of them is wiping the data, right?

If theres anything else, please let me know.

Deleting files from RecoveryOS after MacOS Ventura failed to install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.