You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari app on my iPhone is blocked and says I must call Apple Support. Is it a scam?

Help. My iphone safari app is blocked and says I must call apple support because of a security . Is this a scam or for real? What should I do?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 11:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 11:50 AM

Oh, well, well, aren't we having a grand ol' day! First of all, take a deep breath because you've got yourself a garden-variety scam there. Stuxnet? Really? I mean, unless you're moonlighting as an Iranian nuclear physicist, there's no reason your iPhone would be a target for Stuxnet.

Now listen, the real Apple wouldn't lock Safari and throw a phone number at you like a bad advertisement. These scammers love to scare you with techno-jargon and threats. Don't call that number. Unless, of course, you enjoy handing over your personal info to random strangers. Your choice.

Here's what you should do instead:

1. Close the Safari app. No, really, just close it.

2. Double-click the Home button to bring up the app switcher and swipe Safari off the screen. If you have an iPhone without a Home button, you swipe up from the bottom. You got this!

3. Head over to 'Settings' > 'Safari.'

4. Scroll down and tap 'Clear History and Website Data.' Poof! Gone!

And there you go, you're back in action. Safari should be back to normal. Maybe run a quick security check if you're feeling extra paranoid, but you're probably good to go. Oh, and maybe don't click on any more sketchy links, eh?

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 31, 2023 11:50 AM in response to janecollins

Oh, well, well, aren't we having a grand ol' day! First of all, take a deep breath because you've got yourself a garden-variety scam there. Stuxnet? Really? I mean, unless you're moonlighting as an Iranian nuclear physicist, there's no reason your iPhone would be a target for Stuxnet.

Now listen, the real Apple wouldn't lock Safari and throw a phone number at you like a bad advertisement. These scammers love to scare you with techno-jargon and threats. Don't call that number. Unless, of course, you enjoy handing over your personal info to random strangers. Your choice.

Here's what you should do instead:

1. Close the Safari app. No, really, just close it.

2. Double-click the Home button to bring up the app switcher and swipe Safari off the screen. If you have an iPhone without a Home button, you swipe up from the bottom. You got this!

3. Head over to 'Settings' > 'Safari.'

4. Scroll down and tap 'Clear History and Website Data.' Poof! Gone!

And there you go, you're back in action. Safari should be back to normal. Maybe run a quick security check if you're feeling extra paranoid, but you're probably good to go. Oh, and maybe don't click on any more sketchy links, eh?

Safari app on my iPhone is blocked and says I must call Apple Support. Is it a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.