You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ventura 13.5.1 won't detect external display

Since updating to Ventura, I can no longer connect to my television monitor using my USB C adapter connected to my HDMI cable. When I click on Displays>Detect Displays, my computer does not detect anything other than my Built In Display. I have restarted and turned everything on and off. I have tried changing screen resolutions. Is it because my Panasonic HD television is too old? It has worked with every other Mac software version. I am using Ventura 13.5.1.

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 2:47 PM

8 replies

Sep 1, 2023 12:29 PM in response to sbartel23

Hi sbartel23,

Do you have another monitor or TV you can test with?

In some cases a firmware update or update on the side of the TV or monitor may be required to maintain compatibility with macOS. If possible testing with a different monitor will help isolate the issue.

In the meantime, we can also recommend the steps here to help isolate further:

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2023 1:59 PM in response to DerekM87

Thank you for you answer. Ventura does work with my external computer monitor but it does not work with my Panasonic Viera TC-50LE64 HDTV. The Panasonic television is up to date with the latest software but the television is 10 years old, so I am worried that Mac no longer supports an HDMI connection with this model. I can successfully connect to the Panasonic with one of my older MacBooks that is not running Ventura. I have already tried all of the troubleshooting in the link that you included.

Sep 4, 2023 6:21 PM in response to sbartel23

I am having a similar problem. I am running a Mac Mini (2018) and using two Samsung external monitors. I have had this set-up for 3 years. Since upgrading to 13.5.1, I have had a problem with my computer not recognizing the monitors after sleep. I have replaced the monitor cables. The only way I can "wake-up" the monitor is to unplug them and plug them back in.

ventura 13.5.1 won't detect external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.