You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC to TV using USB-B/HDMI cable. Will it Work?

Can a USB-B (NOT USB-C) to HDMI cable work to display from my MAC onto my Television? I tried, and it doesn't seem to work. I have a Thunderbolt port on my Mac. Do I have to use that?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 10:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 10:46 AM

JacquesBegin wrote:

Can a USB-B (NOT USB-C) to HDMI cable work to display from my MAC onto my Television?

USB-B? No Mac's have ever had USB-B ports. Only USB-A, in versions either 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1.

I tried, and it doesn't seem to work.

Regular USB ports do not generally produce a video signal directly, so

no adapter is going to work. I would question what kind of adapter you

have that goes from USB-? to HDMI directly.

I have a Thunderbolt port on my Mac. Do I have to use that?

In most cases yes, you need to use the Thunderbolt port ot get a video output from the Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2023 10:46 AM in response to JacquesBegin

JacquesBegin wrote:

Can a USB-B (NOT USB-C) to HDMI cable work to display from my MAC onto my Television?

USB-B? No Mac's have ever had USB-B ports. Only USB-A, in versions either 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1.

I tried, and it doesn't seem to work.

Regular USB ports do not generally produce a video signal directly, so

no adapter is going to work. I would question what kind of adapter you

have that goes from USB-? to HDMI directly.

I have a Thunderbolt port on my Mac. Do I have to use that?

In most cases yes, you need to use the Thunderbolt port ot get a video output from the Mac.

MAC to TV using USB-B/HDMI cable. Will it Work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.