You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery Mode won't connect to wifi

I can't put my MacBook into recovery mode. Its. 2017 MacBook and when I put it into recovery mode it goes directly to connect to wifi and then pops up with an error. Pops up error code. (Support.apple.com/mac/startup) -3001F Is it not allowing me to do it because it's not a private wifi? Im at the airport and was just trying to erase my Mac.

MacBook, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 8:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 12:13 PM

Cjones918 wrote:

Is it not allowing me to do it because it's not a private wifi? Im at the airport and was just trying to erase my Mac.

That is most likely the reason.

A better option would be to create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

This would only require a simple download one time while Internet Recovery Mode is a much more complicated process which must have an a good fast network without having the required services being blocked...a public network probably is not a good option.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2023 12:13 PM in response to Cjones918

Cjones918 wrote:

Is it not allowing me to do it because it's not a private wifi? Im at the airport and was just trying to erase my Mac.

That is most likely the reason.

A better option would be to create a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

This would only require a simple download one time while Internet Recovery Mode is a much more complicated process which must have an a good fast network without having the required services being blocked...a public network probably is not a good option.

Recovery Mode won't connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.