You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my password from Safari storage when locked?

I cannot get my passwords from Safari. They are locked and no password is acceptable. In trying to upgrade Microsoft Office, I had to change numerous passwords, kept a list, but apparently made an error somewhere along the way. I was able to get into here using iCloud ID.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 5:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 9:00 PM

The password Safari is looking for is your user password, which you cannot remember. But your Apple ID does work to get you logged in. See instructions here for resetting your user password when you can't remember it:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

After resetting your user password, you should be able to log in with the new user password and use it to unlock the Safari passwords.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2023 9:00 PM in response to WinterUgh

The password Safari is looking for is your user password, which you cannot remember. But your Apple ID does work to get you logged in. See instructions here for resetting your user password when you can't remember it:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

After resetting your user password, you should be able to log in with the new user password and use it to unlock the Safari passwords.

Sep 5, 2023 2:53 AM in response to WinterUgh

The passwords in Safari are located in Safari >> Setting >> Passwords

The Password used to UnLock those save passwords is the Computer Password used when the computer is first started from OFF position

At least, that is how it works on 3 different Apple Computers running Ventura 13.5.1, Plus an Ancient machine from 2011 running High Sierra macOS 10.13.6

How can I get my password from Safari storage when locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.