You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

COLOR FOLDER--Can't copy to clipboard from Get info

Hi, I used to be able to change the color of folders by going to the source folder's get info, copying and then going to the target folder and pasting into its get info. But even when using Preview, I don't seem to be copying to the clipboard--new clipboard is empty after doing a copy of the source folder's get info icon.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 6:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 11:35 AM

I have tried this, and I concur that the COPY operation is not working, for some reason.

The PASTE operation does work, however.

So a workaround is to get the image of the icon somewhere else, like in Preview, or Pixelmator, copy it and then paste into the Get Info of the target folder or document. That works. Copy from the Get Info window does not, even though the Edit menu highlights. This is confirmed if you do Edit->Show Clipboard immediately after: the clipboard is empty.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 6, 2023 11:35 AM in response to Shalom

I have tried this, and I concur that the COPY operation is not working, for some reason.

The PASTE operation does work, however.

So a workaround is to get the image of the icon somewhere else, like in Preview, or Pixelmator, copy it and then paste into the Get Info of the target folder or document. That works. Copy from the Get Info window does not, even though the Edit menu highlights. This is confirmed if you do Edit->Show Clipboard immediately after: the clipboard is empty.

Sep 7, 2023 3:50 PM in response to Shalom

Copying (⌘+C) and Pasting (⌘+V) are working for me.

So give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Sep 7, 2023 1:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

When you copy from the image well, you copy the icns file, not the image.

True - in principle - but it is not working for the OP and for me. I select the icon in the Get Info window, press Command-C, the Edit menu highlights but the clipboard is empty, as seen with Edit->Show Clipboard.

You might be able to copy the Preview image, but I'm not sure.

COLOR FOLDER--Can't copy to clipboard from Get info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.