You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I click on "checking for updates" the wheel just spins. And spins and spins. Nothing happens.

I want to update the system on my iMac. It is currently Big Sur 11.7.1

When I access the system update section of "about this mac" and click on the "Checking for UPdates" the wheel spins. But nothing further. I have tried this eight times, one time letting it spin for 30 minutes. How do I update the system? What is wrong? Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 7:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 8:37 AM

Follow the steps at > Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn’t help, see > If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

Also worth mentioning, third- party AV-ware, Cleaning-ware, Optimizing-ware and VPN’s can block your system from updating and from preforming correctly.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2023 8:37 AM in response to lesliebaker

Follow the steps at > Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn’t help, see > If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

Also worth mentioning, third- party AV-ware, Cleaning-ware, Optimizing-ware and VPN’s can block your system from updating and from preforming correctly.

Sep 9, 2023 11:09 AM in response to lesliebaker

If all else fails try installing from the Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

When I click on "checking for updates" the wheel just spins. And spins and spins. Nothing happens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.