You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I check for activation lock before I purchase a used MAC?

I am looking at buying a used MAC. But before I do, I want to make sure that there will be no problems later on when I try to activate it. Where can I go to check the activation lock status?

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 9:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 10:37 AM

There is no absolute means to confirm there is a lock on a used Mac and caveat emptor prevails. Buy it from the Apple Refurb site and there will be no NVRAM lock on the device. It will boot and present you with the normal setup options.

4 replies

Sep 10, 2023 10:50 AM in response to JesseA7

I've seen so much grief here over used Macs said to be "ready for sale" that I cannot ever recommend buying used.

If you must do this, get a written guarantee stating you get all your money back if the computer is not properly prepared for sale and reuse. Even then, such docs are not very easy to enforce if the seller balks, and your resulting legal fees from attempting to get your money back could buy your a really expensive, top-of-line new Mac new.

Mac are in high demand worldwide and that fact has opened fertile ground for shady sellers ready to cheat over-eager buyers. Your safest action is to run away. 🏃🏼‍♂️

How can I check for activation lock before I purchase a used MAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.