You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown part camera message

i have a notification saying my camera has an unknown part but I haven’t done anything to it except update to the latest ios. Sometimes the camera just shows a black screen and I have to shut it off and turn it back on for it to work

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 1:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 9:45 PM

It’s never been repaired it only started happening after I did the latest update to 16.6.1 so I was confused

6 replies

Sep 10, 2023 10:03 PM in response to Jawn123

Jawn123 Said:

"Unknown part camera message: i have a notification saying my camera has an unknown part but I haven’t done anything to it except update to the latest ios. Sometimes the camera just shows a black screen and I have to shut it off and turn it back on for it to work"

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone iSight Camera:

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of this, if you do not report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 10, 2023 10:02 PM in response to Jawn123

Jawn123 Said:

"Unknown part camera message: i have a notification saying my camera has an unknown part but I haven’t done anything to it except update to the latest ios. Sometimes the camera just shows a black screen and I have to shut it off and turn it back on for it to work"

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone iSight Camera:

A. Go Here: If the Camera or Flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't Working - Apple Support

B. Ungenuine Camera Message:

See Here: About Genuine iPhone Cameras - Apple Support

C. Get this Diagnosed by Apple:

Apple might fix it free of charge, if found to be be faulty device. Set up a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store. There, it will be looked at and you'll be provided with your options.

May 19, 2024 1:45 PM in response to Wordc7

Wordc7 Said:

What resources are available in Google? You replied for what reason? What you said was not helpful. If you googled you would see there are hundreds of people having this issue who's phones have never been repaired.”

———-

Provide a Screenshot:

For reference, reply back with a screenshot. Select just the part of the screen that shows this window. Block out any personal info (ie names and email addresses), by covering it with red-colored rectangles and such through use of the Photos app.

Sep 10, 2023 1:53 PM in response to Jawn123

Hi, this is supposed to be a feature to let you know that a part has been replaced in your iPhone. It says unknown part, but in reality, if you were to swap the cameras of 2 identical, brand new iPhones, you would have the same error. Has your phone been repaired recently?

I strongly recommend looking up this error on Google as there is lots of helpful information and resources that are available.

hope this helps!

Unknown part camera message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.