You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect iMac and Mini mac together?

💻🖥️Hi, does anyone know how I connect my Mac Mini (2012, no thunderbolt 😕) to my iMac (2012 Catalina with 2 thunderbolt sockets) , not just for display, but also data transfer? I've tried Ethernet between the two, but couldn't see the Mac mini 😬... I'm really stuck, so any info would be greatly appreciated 🙏 (please see pics for existing ports)

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 5:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 6:11 AM

Based on the back panel photograph of your MacMini, it cannot be a 2012 model. All MacMinis had Thunderbolt ports since the introduction of the 2011 models. Your MacMini is actually a 2010 model which only has a MiniDisplayPort output. While the connectors look similar, their functionality is quite different. This means that there is absolutely no way that you can use a 2012 iMac as a display. The only way a 2012 iMac can be used as a display is if the the other Mac has a Thunderbolt port and that Mac was model was a 2011 to 2019.

S0, bottomline is that what you are attempting to do cannot be done.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2023 6:11 AM in response to aud160

Based on the back panel photograph of your MacMini, it cannot be a 2012 model. All MacMinis had Thunderbolt ports since the introduction of the 2011 models. Your MacMini is actually a 2010 model which only has a MiniDisplayPort output. While the connectors look similar, their functionality is quite different. This means that there is absolutely no way that you can use a 2012 iMac as a display. The only way a 2012 iMac can be used as a display is if the the other Mac has a Thunderbolt port and that Mac was model was a 2011 to 2019.

S0, bottomline is that what you are attempting to do cannot be done.

How do I connect iMac and Mini mac together?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.