You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it still worth buying an M1 Mac Studio?

Apologies this is not a technical question, more like a conundrum I'm having and I'd appreciate any help.

I have an M1 Mac Mini 16gb/1tb which works fine for most things but my job involves using Adobe software, in particular InDesign which is RAM-hungry and the Mini's 16gb isn't cutting it.

Funds are limited and I can't afford to splash out on what I'd really like – the M2 Mac Studio with 64gb RAM.

I've just an offer for a new M1 Max Mac Studio with 32gb/512gb at £1,499 which would be a good deal if I could get a decent price for my Mini. I'd naturally have to buy an external SSD.

But I'm wondering if it's worth the investment as we'll be close to M3 coming out next year I'm guessing.

I did apologise at the beginning.... but can anyone help me work out if it's worth it?

Mac mini, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 11:11 PM

My guess is not worth it, I'm waiting for the M3 myself.

Two things that haven’t really changed over the years is the tendency for design applications to be RAM-hungry, and for the majority of design projects to require a fairly hefty amount of storage.

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 16, 2023 8:05 AM in response to Justanothergeordie

Computers will always be better, faster, and cheaper if you wait.

So just wait, so that you can choose The BEST one.

But at some point, you have to get some more work done faster than you are now. At that point, you 'Hold your nose and Vote.' Choose the one (out of what is readily available) that is the best for your needs AT THAT MOMENT.

Then put your head down and get something done.

--------

The car you bought a few years ago is not the latest and greatest. But as long as it gets you where you need to go, that's still good!

Jul 16, 2024 10:45 PM in response to Justanothergeordie

Actually, I just bought an M1 Max Studio yesterday from my Univeristy Apple Store. Why? Because the M3 is never coming out and the M4 appears to still be many months away … possibly into early fall of 2025! Come on Apple.

Why did I do it. Because it was a fantastic deal due to being a custom build for a department that ended up with an M2 upgrade at N/C. Meaning, I got a M1 Max with 64GB and 1 TB of storage at $1499.00. In the end, an M2 Max Studio only has limited increase in capabilities and is just under $1K more for basically the same spec. Makes no sense to pay that extra.

So, I’d counter and say if you need the power and can get a great deal, go for it. The M1 is no slouch and more than ready for the new macOS update.

Is it still worth buying an M1 Mac Studio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.