You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best steps connecting My Passport external drive to IMac 10.8 Snow Leopard

What are the Best steps for connecting the WD My Passport external drive to an IMac OS X 10.8 with Snow Leopard.

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 3:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 10:35 PM

If it is a new drive that is pre-formatted with NTFS, the Mac won't be able to write to it.

You have two options for dealing with that:

• Install a third-party NTFS filesystem driver (that is compatible with Snow Leopard), or
  • Go into Disk Utility and Erase the drive, reformatting it using HFS+ (Mac OS X Extended (Journaled, NON-case-sensitive))

The second is the easiest, and what many Mac users have done for a long time.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 12, 2023 10:35 PM in response to randyfromalabama

If it is a new drive that is pre-formatted with NTFS, the Mac won't be able to write to it.

You have two options for dealing with that:

• Install a third-party NTFS filesystem driver (that is compatible with Snow Leopard), or
  • Go into Disk Utility and Erase the drive, reformatting it using HFS+ (Mac OS X Extended (Journaled, NON-case-sensitive))

The second is the easiest, and what many Mac users have done for a long time.

Best steps connecting My Passport external drive to IMac 10.8 Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.