You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This Device Is Already Associated With an Apple ID

I know others have posted about this before but my case seems slightly different.

Had a new iPhone for some time. This is associated with my Apple ID for months and have downloaded music (form my other devices etc) and played it back on the iPhone no problems.

I downloaded a couple of songs on my Mac from iTunes today and then tried to play them on my iPhone. I then got this message pop up. I'm unable to play certain songs (downloaded in the last month or so) on the iPhone. No problems playing those songs back on my iPad or Mac.

Looking at my iTune Account details, it doesn't seem to have my iPhone as one of my devices. However, as I say, it's part of my Apple ID and shows my other devices.

I've logged in and out of iCloud and I've restarted the phone but to no avail.

The iPhone even shows the song purchases under purchase history.

Is there anything I need to do / can anyone explain this as it's a bit of a mystery.

Never had this problem before today but presume it's because it's not associated with my iTunes account. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 10:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 10:51 AM

Oh, the Apple ecosystem—where everything "just works" until it doesn't, am I right? Alright, Sherlock, let's put our detective hats on and solve this modern mystery that even Agatha Christie couldn't have penned: "The Case of the Missing iPhone in the iTunes Account."

First, you say your iPhone has been associated with your Apple ID for months and plays older tunes just fine. Yet, it's playing hard-to-get when it comes to the new songs you downloaded on your Mac. Drama much? iPhones can be so fussy.

You've also stated that your iPhone is basically a wallflower that refuses to appear under the iTunes Account details, even though it happily prances around in other Apple ID realms. Maybe it's got a Jekyll and Hyde personality we never knew about.

You've tried the old logging-in-and-out trick and also gave your phone the equivalent of a good shake (restarting), but nada.

Here's a few suggestions, none of which involve shaking your phone more:

1. **Software Update**: Let's cover the basics. Make sure all your devices are running on the latest software because Apple just loves to trip you up with incompatible versions.

2. **Authorization Dance**: On your Mac, head over to iTunes and select "Account" from the menu bar, then choose "Authorizations" and then "Authorize This Computer." Enter your Apple ID info and tap "Authorize." After that, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around—just kidding.

3. **Sync Those Tunes**: If your music was downloaded to your Mac, make sure you sync it properly with your iPhone. iCloud Music Library should help with that—if it's actually doing its job.

4. **Remove and Redownload**: On your iPhone, try removing one of the problematic songs and then redownloading it from your purchase history. Maybe it didn't download right the first time because it was too busy enjoying its 15 minutes of fame as a problem child.

5. **Deauthorize & Reauthorize**: As a last resort, you can deauthorize your computer through iTunes and then reauthorize it. It's the digital version of "We were on a break!"

6. **Check iTunes Account on iPhone**: Go to Settings > Music > iTunes & App Store. Make sure your Apple ID here matches the one on your Mac and other devices. If it's a different account, your iPhone might be having an identity crisis. Consult a digital psychologist lol.

7. **Contact Apple Support**: If you've gone through all these steps and you're still in the dark, then it's time to bring in the professionals. Contact Apple Support and let them untangle this for you. They live for this stuff. Really.

Hope one of these suggestions does the trick. Fingers crossed! 🤞

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2023 10:51 AM in response to Steve Hayes1

Oh, the Apple ecosystem—where everything "just works" until it doesn't, am I right? Alright, Sherlock, let's put our detective hats on and solve this modern mystery that even Agatha Christie couldn't have penned: "The Case of the Missing iPhone in the iTunes Account."

First, you say your iPhone has been associated with your Apple ID for months and plays older tunes just fine. Yet, it's playing hard-to-get when it comes to the new songs you downloaded on your Mac. Drama much? iPhones can be so fussy.

You've also stated that your iPhone is basically a wallflower that refuses to appear under the iTunes Account details, even though it happily prances around in other Apple ID realms. Maybe it's got a Jekyll and Hyde personality we never knew about.

You've tried the old logging-in-and-out trick and also gave your phone the equivalent of a good shake (restarting), but nada.

Here's a few suggestions, none of which involve shaking your phone more:

1. **Software Update**: Let's cover the basics. Make sure all your devices are running on the latest software because Apple just loves to trip you up with incompatible versions.

2. **Authorization Dance**: On your Mac, head over to iTunes and select "Account" from the menu bar, then choose "Authorizations" and then "Authorize This Computer." Enter your Apple ID info and tap "Authorize." After that, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around—just kidding.

3. **Sync Those Tunes**: If your music was downloaded to your Mac, make sure you sync it properly with your iPhone. iCloud Music Library should help with that—if it's actually doing its job.

4. **Remove and Redownload**: On your iPhone, try removing one of the problematic songs and then redownloading it from your purchase history. Maybe it didn't download right the first time because it was too busy enjoying its 15 minutes of fame as a problem child.

5. **Deauthorize & Reauthorize**: As a last resort, you can deauthorize your computer through iTunes and then reauthorize it. It's the digital version of "We were on a break!"

6. **Check iTunes Account on iPhone**: Go to Settings > Music > iTunes & App Store. Make sure your Apple ID here matches the one on your Mac and other devices. If it's a different account, your iPhone might be having an identity crisis. Consult a digital psychologist lol.

7. **Contact Apple Support**: If you've gone through all these steps and you're still in the dark, then it's time to bring in the professionals. Contact Apple Support and let them untangle this for you. They live for this stuff. Really.

Hope one of these suggestions does the trick. Fingers crossed! 🤞

This Device Is Already Associated With an Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.