You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery key without an apple ID

I had my mac enrolled in an MDM, while troubleshooting another device's enrollment, I wiped it and even though the MDM logs say it enrolled successfully, it did not. It's stuck in a boot loop so I can't login, it won't boot into safe mode, and it's prompting for a recovery key but I never logged into this with an apple ID because we have that blocked in the MDM profile, so I can't reset it from my iPad. Where should I go from here?

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 5:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 2:23 PM

Hello SCFMDMAdmin,

We see that your MacBook Air is stuck in a boot loop. If you're the system administration, we suggest that you reach out to Apple directly to get further assistance with this issue that you're having.

Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

2 replies

Sep 22, 2023 7:54 AM in response to SCFMDMAdmin

If your device is enrolled in MDM, it should escrow the recovery key. You may reach out to your MDM vendor to see where to locate this key. If your org rotates FileVault2 recovery keys regularly (not a best practice), then you could run into an issue where the key has been rotated, but has yet to be escrowed into the MDM. At this point, you will either need to call Apple for support, or connect the device to another macOS device running Apple Configurator 2, put the device into DFU mode, and restore the device.

Recovery key without an apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.