You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn’t my iPad do automatic updates?

iPad is on automatic setting for updates and it shows it has an update available but it won’t proceed to do update

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 5:30 PM

1 reply

Sep 16, 2023 5:39 PM in response to Sonia-12

When Apple devices are on automatic updates, they tend to wait a little bit to do the update. If it shows that there is an update, it has to be under the correct circumstances for it to update. It will usually do this when it is on the charger and connected to WiFi. It’s also only going to do this during a time that you’re usually not using it. So if you put it on the charger during a time that you would normally be using it, it’s not going to instantly do the update, it’s going to wait till nite time usually. Also, it NEEDS to be on the charger, so if you don’t put your iPad on the charger during the night, it’s not going to do the update automatically either. If it isn’t connected to WiFi it isn’t going to do it either so if your iPad has cellular and that is how you’re online with it, it’s not going to update either. It also needs to be above 50% charge for it to do the update as well so unless ALL of these situations are true then it’s not going to do the update. I have mine set for automatic updates, and usually my watch and my iPad I end up having to do manually because I don’t put them on the charger every night and I use my watch to track my sleep so I don’t have it on the charger either. I won’t put my iPad on the charger at night if it doesn’t need charged so it usually ends up waiting for me to do it when I notice that there is an update available.

Why doesn’t my iPad do automatic updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.