You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signing in after sleep mode

when my new mac book air has been in sleep mode it requires an administrator password. I don’t have one. How do I fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 2:20 PM

At initial start up, when you went through the setup routine for your new Mac, you created a password. The default is an admin password.

If you didn't have the setup screen at initial start up, you don't have a new Mac. You have a used Mac and it wasn't properly prepared for resale and it still needs the prior owner's admin password.

This is what should have been done: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

If you paid for a new Mac, and had no setup routine, you need to return the Mac for a refund.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2023 2:20 PM in response to lenoard240

At initial start up, when you went through the setup routine for your new Mac, you created a password. The default is an admin password.

If you didn't have the setup screen at initial start up, you don't have a new Mac. You have a used Mac and it wasn't properly prepared for resale and it still needs the prior owner's admin password.

This is what should have been done: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

If you paid for a new Mac, and had no setup routine, you need to return the Mac for a refund.

Signing in after sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.