You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hey, external drive not showing up.

I am not able to use my external storage disc, its not showing up. i hve data in the drive, need guidance. Regards

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 5:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 8:48 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble accessing your external storage disc on your Mac. I can help you with that. Here are some general steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. **Check Preferences**: Open Finder, click on "Finder" in the menu at the top of your screen, choose "Preferences", and make sure there is a tick beside "External Drives" under the "General" tab.

2. **Check Cable and Power**: Ensure that the drive is properly plugged in and receiving enough power. If it's powered via a USB-A cable, make sure it's getting adequate power. If you're using an older Mac, you may need a USB power cable with two connectors to deliver enough power. Also, check if the drive has an external power supply that should be used.

3. **Disk Utility**: Launch Disk Utility by going to Finder > Applications > Utilities and double-clicking on Disk Utility. If Disk Utility lists the external hard drive in gray, select it from the sidebar.

4. **Format and Repair**: If the drive is listed in Disk Utility, you can try formatting or repairing it. However, please note that formatting will erase all data on the drive, so proceed with caution.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2023 8:48 AM in response to Sharmagunjan

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble accessing your external storage disc on your Mac. I can help you with that. Here are some general steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. **Check Preferences**: Open Finder, click on "Finder" in the menu at the top of your screen, choose "Preferences", and make sure there is a tick beside "External Drives" under the "General" tab.

2. **Check Cable and Power**: Ensure that the drive is properly plugged in and receiving enough power. If it's powered via a USB-A cable, make sure it's getting adequate power. If you're using an older Mac, you may need a USB power cable with two connectors to deliver enough power. Also, check if the drive has an external power supply that should be used.

3. **Disk Utility**: Launch Disk Utility by going to Finder > Applications > Utilities and double-clicking on Disk Utility. If Disk Utility lists the external hard drive in gray, select it from the sidebar.

4. **Format and Repair**: If the drive is listed in Disk Utility, you can try formatting or repairing it. However, please note that formatting will erase all data on the drive, so proceed with caution.

Hey, external drive not showing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.