You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videography setup with Mac mini

Hello! I'm a videographer and I usually edit on my MacBook. Now I want to purchase the Mac mini with a screen to work on. My question are:

1. What makes the Mac Mini so different from other computers?
  2. Can I connect my MacBook onto a screen from another brand so that it can work as a second screen?
  3. When the Mac mini is connected to the screen, does it have the Apple Software on it?
  4. Is there anything else that's important to know before buying a Mac Mini?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 3:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 5:24 PM

Hi, jendmr- In rough answer to

your questions:

1) I don’t know..

2) sure, yes, absolutely.. you should be able to connect a monitor to your MacBook Pro, depending on the year it was made and its specs… you might be able to connect two monitors to your MacBook Pro… you can even use a TV equipped with HDMI 1.4 or better ( eg HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 ) as a monitor…hdmi 1.4 will support up to 1080p, hdmi 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 with do up to 4K… but all cables( devices) must support hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 for it to work… miniDisplayPort or DisplayPort will be fine for a monitor or USB-C ( don’t know of any tv’s with DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort or usb-c)

3) yup, the Apple software will be usable… and it’ll be on it ( mirror screen)

4) yes… you can upgrade it BEFORE you buy it but NOT after, as all current Mac mini’s and Mac studios are all built-to-order… this goes for RAM and internal SSD’s .. you can buy external SSD’s to add to it afterwards… also all m1/m2 Mac minis and Mac Studios( Apple Silicon) don’t support eGPU’s…

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2023 5:24 PM in response to jendmr

Hi, jendmr- In rough answer to

your questions:

1) I don’t know..

2) sure, yes, absolutely.. you should be able to connect a monitor to your MacBook Pro, depending on the year it was made and its specs… you might be able to connect two monitors to your MacBook Pro… you can even use a TV equipped with HDMI 1.4 or better ( eg HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 ) as a monitor…hdmi 1.4 will support up to 1080p, hdmi 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 with do up to 4K… but all cables( devices) must support hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 for it to work… miniDisplayPort or DisplayPort will be fine for a monitor or USB-C ( don’t know of any tv’s with DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort or usb-c)

3) yup, the Apple software will be usable… and it’ll be on it ( mirror screen)

4) yes… you can upgrade it BEFORE you buy it but NOT after, as all current Mac mini’s and Mac studios are all built-to-order… this goes for RAM and internal SSD’s .. you can buy external SSD’s to add to it afterwards… also all m1/m2 Mac minis and Mac Studios( Apple Silicon) don’t support eGPU’s…

Videography setup with Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.