You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I uninstall Adobe Reader?

I installed Adobe Reader and it has converted all my PDF Documents to Adobe PDF documents. I don't like it, I want to uninstall it. What will happen to all my PDF Documents if I uninstall it?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 6:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 6:32 PM

Technically, all PDF documents are Adobe PDF documents. They own the specification.

In Finder, select a PDF document.

Get Info

Select Preview from the open with popup menu.

Click Change All.

If you installed Adobe Reader with an Installer, you need to use their uninstaller to remove it. Otherwise, drag it to the Trash.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2023 6:32 PM in response to Manuela727

Technically, all PDF documents are Adobe PDF documents. They own the specification.

In Finder, select a PDF document.

Get Info

Select Preview from the open with popup menu.

Click Change All.

If you installed Adobe Reader with an Installer, you need to use their uninstaller to remove it. Otherwise, drag it to the Trash.

Sep 20, 2023 6:36 PM in response to Manuela727

Installing the Adobe Reader didn't convert anything. It simply told the OS to make itself the default app to use when you double click a PDF.

If you want Preview to be the default, right click on any PDF and choose Get Info. Under the Open With heading, choose Preview, then click the Change All button.

Edit: Too slow. Barney-15E already suggested the latter.

How do I uninstall Adobe Reader?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.