You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I store files on my desktop without uploading them to iCloud? I just want the files local and my iCloud is out of space, I don't know how to save the files locally on my Desktop without it uploading to icloud. How to make local folders?

I'm used to using windows where everything is stored locally. I don't want to upgrade my icloud and every time i save something it goes to icloud.

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 10:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 7:32 AM

If you enable iCloud Drive, your files remain stored locally unless you also opt to optimize storage on your Mac. If you optimize, your least accessed/largest files are offloaded into iCloud only.

But, it sounds like you may have desktop and documents turned on for sync. You can turn that off if you no longer wish for those locations to sync.

Go to System settings > Apple ID > iCloud and select iCloud Drive. Toggle off desktop and documents.

Once you turn it off, you'll see a blank desktop and new documents folder. Your old desktop and documents will be in your iCloud Drive folder. You can simply move the items in each location back by dragging the files.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2023 7:32 AM in response to Minhanhnh

If you enable iCloud Drive, your files remain stored locally unless you also opt to optimize storage on your Mac. If you optimize, your least accessed/largest files are offloaded into iCloud only.

But, it sounds like you may have desktop and documents turned on for sync. You can turn that off if you no longer wish for those locations to sync.

Go to System settings > Apple ID > iCloud and select iCloud Drive. Toggle off desktop and documents.

Once you turn it off, you'll see a blank desktop and new documents folder. Your old desktop and documents will be in your iCloud Drive folder. You can simply move the items in each location back by dragging the files.

how do I store files on my desktop without uploading them to iCloud? I just want the files local and my iCloud is out of space, I don't know how to save the files locally on my Desktop without it uploading to icloud. How to make local folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.