You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Activation Issue: Update Required

Hello Apple Support Team,

After resetting all the data on my iPhone 8, when I turned on my mobile again, I encountered an error message. This error message read: "Unable to activate, an update is required to activate your iPhone."

I am seeking advice and assistance on how to resolve this activation issue and perform the required update. Thank you!"

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 7:46 AM

Just a guess – but you might have to update the version of iOS on your iPhone 8 before re-activating your cellular plan with your phone company (carrier). The iPhone 8 originally ran iOS 11, but it can run iOS 16, which should be more than recent enough for the phone company.

I don't know if you'll be able to update over Wi-Fi or if you'll need to use iTunes/Finder (on a Mac or PC) to "push" the update down to the iPhone. You might need the help of a computer (to "update the device manually") if your phone is currently back more than a couple of versions from iOS 16.

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2023 7:46 AM in response to Faisal4772

Just a guess – but you might have to update the version of iOS on your iPhone 8 before re-activating your cellular plan with your phone company (carrier). The iPhone 8 originally ran iOS 11, but it can run iOS 16, which should be more than recent enough for the phone company.

I don't know if you'll be able to update over Wi-Fi or if you'll need to use iTunes/Finder (on a Mac or PC) to "push" the update down to the iPhone. You might need the help of a computer (to "update the device manually") if your phone is currently back more than a couple of versions from iOS 16.

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

iPhone 8 Activation Issue: Update Required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.