You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make USB stick bootable?

my mac mini M1 is cannot dual boot . i flashed .iso with balena-etcher but the usb flash drive is "not bootable" when i check the usb info.

How to make USB stick bootable with macos cmd line , or pls propose different method.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 10:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 2:53 PM

What .iso are you using?

And what computer are you trying to boot with that USB stick?

Keep in mind that an M1 Apple Silicon Mac uses a different CPU architecture so most bootable media out there won't work on that Apple Silicon Mac.

5 replies

Sep 27, 2023 5:00 AM in response to HWTech

I downloaded Proxmox 8 iso , i try to dualboot a mac mini.

I also guess the mac mini doesn't recognise the bootable USB with proxmox.iso. I am aware that CPU architecture is different.

I wanted to try out proxmox for homeserver environment

I have ubuntu server running in UTM terminal and that is working fine.

maybe try a ubuntu.iso first to see whether macmini can start up this .iso

Sep 27, 2023 5:40 PM in response to barend210

If you check out the system requirements for Proxmox v8 (virtualization), it only mentions Intel:

https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-virtual-environment/requirements

You need to run it on Intel hardware. Even trying to run it on bare metal on any Apple USB-C Mac probably won't work well since Linux support for 2018+ Macs is still poor although a 2018 Mini might be Ok (laptops definitely not). If you have an Apple Silicon Mac, then the only way to run this .iso is by utilizing UTM.

FYI, AFAIK, there are currently no Linux distributions which will boot on bare metal for the Apple Silicon Macs. The Asahi Linux project is still developing the necessary driver support for Apple Silicon Macs. Asahi developers only recently announced working on creating an Apple Silicon Fedora Remix distribution so that people can begin performing more involved testing of the Linux Apple Silicon drivers. It will be a little while before it will be available. At some point I'm sure Ubuntu and other Linux distributions will begin including the Apple Silicon drivers into their ARM distributions which may get you some basic Linux support on Apple Silicon Macs.

How to make USB stick bootable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.