You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to preserve order in a shared album

I have my photos organized in a certain order in an album. When I create a shared album from the same photos it does not preserve the ordering from the original album. Is there a way to keep the same order in the shared album?

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 5:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 9:26 PM

The most reliable (and time consuming) way is to add the pictures to the shared album one at a time in the order you wish them to appear in the shared album.

4 replies

Jun 5, 2024 5:03 AM in response to TravelerWhoShares

When you go the trouble to arrange the photos manually by adding them one-by-one, I would not allow the subscribers to add their own photos or to comment on the photos. I noticed that the order by the date-added in the Shared albums may change, when I add a comment to the photos. The photo with the new comment has been moved to the end of the album, when I viewed the shared album on a different device or on the public web page.

You may have noticed, the titles and captions are also not shared. We are still seeing the titles and captions and locations when we are viewing the shared album from the Photos Library where we have shared the photos from, but when I view the Shared album in Photos on one of my other devices the titles and captions and locations are missing. So we have to add the necessary metadata as comments. To avoid that the photos might get rearranged when adding comments, it would be best to add the comment for each photo as soon as we share the photo. And we should wait with inviting subscribers until all photos have been shared. Otherwise the subscribers might receive alerts for each photo we share, which could become tedious.

Jun 5, 2024 3:29 AM in response to silviac44

Thank you for the solution of adding one by one.

I concur on the time consuming comment, especially on an iPad or iPhone without a mouse. Having a shared SequenceNumber attribute for the shared album would be great and facilitate reordering. Photo albums created from the timestamp a picture was taken don’t always tell the same story. Airdropping or messaging just adds burden to the recipient too.

how to preserve order in a shared album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.