You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock/Unlock triggered at wrong times + Auto-Lock not working

I have Lock/Unlock toggled ON. I am using an Amazon folio case on my iPad Air 4. When the case cover is unfolded and placed behind the iPad (during use), the iPad will lock as as if I had closed the iPad cover.

The issue persisted when I used a different case on my device. I also tried putting my case on my friend's iPad. They did not face the same issue I had.

I would just turn off the Lock/Unlock feature as a last resort, however my Auto-Lock also stopped working. My Auto-Lock is also set to 2 minutes but the iPad will literally never lock. I have downloaded the most recent iOS and have shut off my device and this hasn't resolved either issue.

Please help me!

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 12:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 2:21 AM

As described, your iPad may have an internal fault - potentially the hall-effect (magnetic) sensor that detects a trigger magnet embedded within the cover of the iPad case. When the cover is closed, the magnet is detected and the iPad is locked.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad. If a fault is confirmed, you'll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2023 2:21 AM in response to andreadnk

As described, your iPad may have an internal fault - potentially the hall-effect (magnetic) sensor that detects a trigger magnet embedded within the cover of the iPad case. When the cover is closed, the magnet is detected and the iPad is locked.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad. If a fault is confirmed, you'll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Lock/Unlock triggered at wrong times + Auto-Lock not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.