You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does buying a show/movie in a bundle or as whole season lessen the quality?

If I buy a whole season of a show will I get it in the highest quality available? (HD Or 4K)

I want to buy all the seasons of a show I really like but I am cut between buying each episode individually for $2.99 in the listed HD format available cause I’m unsure if bought as a bundle for $19.99 it’ll be in lesser quality. (I’ve read that sometimes when buying movies in bundles on Apple TV any movie available in 4K will be given as HD as a way of lessening the price and giving them in a bundle instead of bought separately) 

so I’m wondering if the same is done for shows? if I buy “Season 1” for $19.99 instead of buying each individual episode for $2.99 in HD does it lessen the quality to SD? 

Since if there are 22 episodes in the season, $2.99 each available in HD the whole total price bought individually for the whole season will be around $66 

But all the episodes together bought in a season is just $20? I’m wondering if there is a little catch to it and maybe the quality down is put down to SD? Only cause I’m new to filling out my digital library so just some ease of mind is needed

Maybe I am thinking too much into it and it gives the quality as stated available but I’ve just heard too many stories of Apple lessening the quality of their Bundled movies. So I always buy individually, I wouldn’t wanna have an HD copy of every movie in a series I could have had in 4K just cause I bought it in a bundle that saved me $10 buying individually.

So if anyone maybe has an answer I’d appreciate the help.

For example “The Boys” has 4K available per individual purchase of their season episodes at $2.99 but the whole season bought together is $15

Would it still give the 4K? Or lessen it down to HD for saving you $10 buying the season as a whole?

Just wanting to get the best bang for my buck and get the best quality the Apple movies platform has to offer so if anyone maybe has experience buying episodes individually or in a season bundle your insight would be helpful.

Even a simple “I bought the full season of this show and got it in HD/4K so you should be fine” would calm my anxiety’s a bit.

i just wouldn’t wanna buy a whole season of a show and it not be in the best quality available to me if I buy it all together lol

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 6:19 AM

If I buy a whole season of a show will I get it in the highest quality available? (HD Or 4K)

Sort of. A show might show as 4K in the Apple TV app if it is available in that format from any of the possible content providers that connect to the Apple TV app. It might however be available in HD from the iTunes Store.

… I’m unsure if bought as a bundle for $19.99 it’ll be in lesser quality.

Same quality. If sold per episode in HD, then the whole season or complete series would also be in HD. The whole-season or whole-series buyers may get extras for select shows; bonus content, usually denoted with episode numbering above 100.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2023 6:19 AM in response to Jacob_616

Sort of. A show might show as 4K in the Apple TV app if it is available in that format from any of the possible content providers that connect to the Apple TV app. It might however be available in HD from the iTunes Store.

… I’m unsure if bought as a bundle for $19.99 it’ll be in lesser quality.

Same quality. If sold per episode in HD, then the whole season or complete series would also be in HD. The whole-season or whole-series buyers may get extras for select shows; bonus content, usually denoted with episode numbering above 100.

Does buying a show/movie in a bundle or as whole season lessen the quality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.