You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud and duplicated photos in devices.

I have a 32GB iPad which keeps running out of space. It's because photos are taking up some much storage. This happens even though I have all photos from my iPad, iPhone etc backed up on iCloud! Every device I have seems to want to duplicated my photos - what am I doing wrong? I have a iCloud a/c and 200GB of storage but don't seem to be using it efficiently. Any assistance appreciated.

Regards

Barry

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:37 PM

iCloud is principally a file synchronisation service. As such, iCloud Photos will keep a copy of Photos stored on your iPad and other Apple devices - and will keep Photos synchronised between them.

It is important to note that, by design, iCloud Photos is not an independent archive. Deleting photos from your iPad will synchronise the deletion with iCloud and other devices that are synchronised via iCloud.

While it is possible to archive photos to a separate folder within iCloud Files, or other USB storage or Cloud service, you will have to do so manually.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2023 5:37 PM in response to barrytelford

iCloud is principally a file synchronisation service. As such, iCloud Photos will keep a copy of Photos stored on your iPad and other Apple devices - and will keep Photos synchronised between them.

It is important to note that, by design, iCloud Photos is not an independent archive. Deleting photos from your iPad will synchronise the deletion with iCloud and other devices that are synchronised via iCloud.

While it is possible to archive photos to a separate folder within iCloud Files, or other USB storage or Cloud service, you will have to do so manually.

Sep 28, 2023 7:38 AM in response to barrytelford

If you wish to have an independent photo archive in iCloud (or other storage location) you can create a folder in iCloud storage using the Files App. From the photos App, you can then use the Share Sheet to selectively save Photos to this folder.

These photos will not be visible using the Photos App - but will, while still being stored in iCloud storage, be fully independent of iCloud photos. After duplicating your photos to this folder, the original photos can be deleted from your Photo Library - and iCloud Photos.

An easier method in achieving the same goal would be to use a third-party File Manager App. Some can easily access and manage files and photos between a variety of external storage options - including iCloud, third-party Cloud services, external media devices and network storage. One App that comes readily to mind is FileBrowser Professional by Stratospherix:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-professional/id854618029

You would be well advised to review the extensive online Manual and help files to determine suitability for your needs.

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowserprofessional/filebrowser-professional-user-guide.php

Sep 27, 2023 5:45 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for this esp so promptly. No I (sorta) didn't realise it was synchronisation service only but mistakenly thought it could be used also as storage system, but of course sync makes sense for a backup. Guess I'l have to save old photos not accessed very often on an external drive. Hmm another tech challenge for me! Guess I create a duplicate photo library for backup and store it and delete old photos from the iCloud library. BTW - don't know why Apple don't allow use of iCloud for Time Machine backup. Very annoying.

Thanks for you help LotusPilot. Regards Barry

iCloud and duplicated photos in devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.