You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an iphone be removed from findmy if they know the passcode but not the account password?

I've been getting mixed info about the referenced question so decided to ask here.

For quick context: I'm currently abroad and last Monday I had my iphone 12 pro max stolen with it's passcode and the thieves were able to remove the device from findmy immediately.

I did not have my apple account password stored in my keychain, written in my notes, or in any other password manager on my phone - so there's no way the theives could've known it. Yet multiple people have told me (and I've also just read threads on here that state this) that a device can't be removed from findmy with only it's pin, it'll always prompt for the account password too.

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 8:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 8:34 PM

WanderingFoxx Said:

"Can an iphone be removed from findmy if they know the passcode but not the account password?: [...]For quick context: I'm currently abroad and last Monday I had my iphone 12 pro max stolen with its passcode and the thieves were able to remove the device from findmy immediately.[...]"

-------

Yes. Once unlocked with the passcode, all you need to do to is disable Find My in iCloud Settings. So, that seems to be what has occurred.

So, Secure your Info:

Being account-access if of high-concern here, (A)verify your devices, and (B)modify your credentials. It would be wise to open a new eMail address and use that for your Apple ID.

A. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

and...

B. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them.

III. Report Items to Apple:

So, report phone calls' and messages' info to Apple and Authorities. Use my User: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2023 8:34 PM in response to WanderingFoxx

WanderingFoxx Said:

"Can an iphone be removed from findmy if they know the passcode but not the account password?: [...]For quick context: I'm currently abroad and last Monday I had my iphone 12 pro max stolen with its passcode and the thieves were able to remove the device from findmy immediately.[...]"

-------

Yes. Once unlocked with the passcode, all you need to do to is disable Find My in iCloud Settings. So, that seems to be what has occurred.

So, Secure your Info:

Being account-access if of high-concern here, (A)verify your devices, and (B)modify your credentials. It would be wise to open a new eMail address and use that for your Apple ID.

A. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

and...

B. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them.

III. Report Items to Apple:

So, report phone calls' and messages' info to Apple and Authorities. Use my User: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

Can an iphone be removed from findmy if they know the passcode but not the account password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.